|Chapter President's Report 2011|
|Written by Dr. Eliseo O. Laron, Jr., President|
Total Membership 176: EF 2; FW 47; DP 120; AF 2; AM 5
I. Administrative Affairs
1. The chapter elected its new set of officers for the fiscal year May 1, 2010 to April 30, 2011 during its Annual Business Meeting on April 19, 2010 at the Heritage Hotel, Pasay City. During this general assembly, the Handbook of the Chapter Constitution and By-Laws and Chapter Directory was distributed to its members.
2. The first board meeting was held on June 26, 2010 at the La Mer Hotel and Resort in San Fernando, City. Appointments of Committee Heads and Board Members were announced. Discussed were the upcoming chapter committee programs. After the first board meeting, the new set of officers and board members were formally inducted. The officers of the PPSNLC had a meeting with President Genesis Rivera and were presented with the flagship projects of the President.
3. During the second board meeting held at the Baguio Country Club on August 14, 2010, two proposed sites for the child advocacy program were chosen: the DSWD Home for Girls in Agoo, La Union and the Child and Family Services Phil Inc (CFSPI) in Baguio City. The thrust of the project is to provide basic needs (personal and medical assistance) for the marginalized children being catered by these NGOs.
4. The officers had regular monthly board meetings from June to December 2010.
5. There were ten new members (Diplomates) who were inducted into the chapter.
6. Also on membership, there were eight members who applied and were approved a change of membership status from Diplomate to Fellow of the Society.
7. In January 2011, the chapter’s official website www.ppsnlc.org had been activated.
8. This coming April 2011, during the PPS Annual Convention, the chapter will have its General Assembly.
II. Continuing Pediatric Education
1. The Rational Use of Beta-lactams for the Treatment of URTI’s by Dr. Alberto Calderon on June 22, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
2. The Roles of Staphylococcal aureus and Mupirocin by Dr. Cindy Jao-Tan on June 26, 2010 in San Fernando, La Union
3. Protecting Infants Beyond IPD by Dr. Jo-Anne de Castro on July 8, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
4. MMR-Varicella: Is it a Good Combination on August 12, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
5. Rotavirus: Call on a Continuing Challenge on August 12, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
6. Practical Strategies on the Treatment of Respiratory Infection by Dr. Gyneth Lourdes Bibera on September 22, 2010 in Urdaneta, Pangasinan
7. Smart Tips in Allergic Rhinitis Therapy by Dr. Khristine Gutierrez on September 29, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
8. Microflora in Health and Disease by Dr. Jossie Rogacion on October 17, 2010 in Baguio City
9. Common and Constant Concern in Tuberculosis by Dr. Raymund Manuel on November 24, 2010 in Dagupan City, Pangasinan
10. Proper Nutrition, Healthy Sleep, Happy child by Dr. Joselyn A. Eusebio on November 28, 2010 in Bangued, Abra
III. Research and Training
1. The Annual Clinico-Pathologic Conference was held at the City de Luxe Hotel, Dagupan City, Pangasinan on September 26, 2010. The case of Anaplastic Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma was discussed by residents-in-training from each of the five PPS-HAB hospitals. Residents of the Mariano Memorial Hospital & Medical Center won the contest.
2. The Annual Residents’ Case Report Contest was held at the Hotel Supreme, Baguio City on October 17, 2010. The paper on “Dawson’s Disease” presented by Dr. Sharon B. Gawigawen from Baguio General Hospital & Medical Center garnered first place. A total of eight cases were presented in this forum.
3. The PPS-UPEC in cooperation with PPSNL Chapter conducted a seminar workshop entitled “Innovative Teaching Strategies for Undergraduate Pediatrics” at the Oasis Resort, San Fernando City, La Union on October 24, 2010. Dr. Melflor A. Aitenza and Dr. Bernadette J. Madrid were the two speakers in the event. Attendees were pediatric faculty from the six colleges/schools of Medicine in the Northern and North-eastern regions.
4. An NRP course was conducted in Benguet General Hospital on November 18-19, 2010.
5. The Annual Residents’ Research Contest was held last November 28, 2010 at the Social Hall Provincial Capitol, Bangued, Abra. There were eight papers presented. The first prize was tagged by the research on the “Evaluation of the Diagnostic Accuracy of the Dengue IgA Rapid Test in a Tertiary Hospital” by Dr. Karen Formoso-Peña of the Saint Louis University Hospital of the Sacred Heart, Baguio City.
6. The Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital & Medical Center conducted its First CPE Course last December 5, 2010.
7. The forthcoming activities for 2011 are as follows: Clinico-Pathologic Case Contest on May 29, Annual Residents’ Case Report Contest on August 28, and Annual Residents’ Research Contest on November 27.
IV. Pediatric Community and Child Advocacy
1. Series of lectures on “Primary Pulmonary Tuberculosis New Consensus Guidelines” were conducted and practicum on proper Mantoux Testing were done with the different City and Municipal health workers and nurses of the Cordillera Region in coordination with the DOH and PIDSP.
2. Lay forum on the “Management of Animal Bites” were conducted in the North Western Luzon by Dr. Xenia Cathrine J. Fabay and Dr. Maria Teresa P. Fabre, both Infectious Disease Specialists.
3. Medical mission along with the Child & Family Services Philippine Inc (CFSPI), a Baguio-based NGO which deals with marginalized children (abused children, teenage mothers and their babies, youth offenders). This was held at the Manzanillo Subdivision, Baguio City last January 30, 2011.
4. Signing of memorandum of agreement with the DSWD Home for Girls, Agoo, La Union for the PPSNLC to deliver medical services to the facility on February 14, 2010.